Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Leap Day

Since leap year doesn't come around very often it was a good excuse for a party. Somehow I didn't take pictures of the fun games we played. But it was all leap themed. We had a shy neighbor boy over but even he participated and had fun. We sang 5 little speckled frogs. The boys sat on the couch and jumped onto my conveniently blue rug pond when it was their turn. We had a hopping race, a long jump competition, and carried tissue paper frogs with straws. I really don't know how that relates but it was fun. We played hot potato with a Kangaroo my college roommate brought me from Australia. Lucky we have those things sitting around. It was great fun.



The treat was frog cup cakes. I did take pictures of those. Last year I used my doTERRA essential oils and made scrumptious lime cupcakes. I'm afraid these were rather plain - in flavor. Candy stays good indefinitely so the eyes were jellies left from Christmas and I think the licorice might even be from Halloween. Good thing we didn't eat it all yet!

That night we made a family time capsule. It's just a folder that is now sitting in my closet until I hopefully remember it in 4 more years. I loved the idea because 4 years is just about right in the life of a kid. Enough will have changed in those short years that it will be fun for them to open and update for the next leap year. We kept it pretty simple. There's a newspaper from that day. Luckily it fell on a Wednesday this year which is the only day of the week we can even get a paper, so I did. We measured and weighed everyone and made foot and hand prints. We asked the boys all of their favorite things and had them draw a picture. Then, into the envelop they went. That was it. But the kids loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment